Friday, January 15, 2016

tag (or teleportation is fictional)

"TAG!" she smacked me, giggled and disappeared. I was it and I had to chase and find her. This was a lot more difficult than people realized. After all, she had literally disappeared.

Frustrating that.

I leapt after her and looked around. Hong Kong. Sirens whaled. People were running to shelter. I wouldn't find her like this.

"Who are you looking for?" HER! TWERP! Turn and try to tag as fast as I could, but she's already gone. But still near. Here. hm. Then I see her, down the block, across the street, just as the building begins to crash down. She raspberries me and disappears again just as the building crashes into where she had been as the wielded ship smashes into the structure.

Leap.

The land is hot and barren. Sand blew, dunes everywhere. The wind was so hot and dry it sucked the very moisture from my skin, my mouth, my lungs. There she was: lounging! lounging on the sand in a basin. I jump there and land. She disappears, but I land with a BOOM! Drum sand. damn. I leap after her as the gaping maw breaks through the surface.

Leap.

An ice world. Or near the poles. Hard to tell. We won't be here long. There are mechanical impacts from massive metal beasts and the zipping past of small aircraft. Explosions. Noise. There she is, dangling from under one of the metal war camels, waving at me. She keeps getting a drop on me. Pop. And she gone as it gets entangled and falls to the ground.

Leap.

A white corridor. I see her start running away. Actually running this time. She runs into an elevator and the doors close. I pop in and she's gone just before I can tag her. The man in a blue uniform raises an eyebrow and utters, "fascinating" as I pop after her.

Leap.

I arrive just in time for her be held up in the air by a burly Marine in battle armour: he's yelling at her, "Game over, kid! Game over!" She jumps away and I follow.

Leap.

"I am the greatest botanist on this planet."

Leap.

"Sons of Rohan, of Gondor..."

Leap.

"GREAT SCOTT!"

Leap.

"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea."

Leap.

"You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares."

Leap.

"I'm giving you a head start, son. Because I love you."

She paused, stunned and I tagged her.

"TAG!" I crowed and I teleported away. Games of tag were fun, but as we all know, teleportation is a fiction.

No comments: