Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Paleoclimate Working Group Session Live Blogging!

CCSM Paleoclimate Working Group Session

Tuesday, 17 June 2008

1:30 – 1:45 Simulating the Late Ordovician with CCSM3 - Christine Shields NCAR

1:45 – 2:00 Cloud Properties and Warm Poles: Simulations of the P/T and PETM - Jeff Kiehl NCAR

2:00 – 2:20 Mesoscale Modeling of the Eocene Ice-Free Arctic - Daniel Kirk-Davidoff, U. Maryland

2:20 – 2:40 A GCM Reconstruction of the Last Glacial Inception - Megan Essig, U. Nebraska-Lincoln

2:40 – 3:00 Freshwater Forcing of Rapid Climate Change - Dick Peltier, U. Toronto

3:00 – 3:20 Break

3:20 – 3:40 Simulating Transient Climate Evolution of the Last 21,000 Years with CCSM3 (TraCE-21,000): A Progress Report - Feng He, U. Wisconsin

3:40 – 4:00 Climate Model Tests of the Early Anthropocene Hypothesis - Steve Vavrus, U. Wisconsin

4:00 – 4:20 Climatic Impacts of the Largest Volcanic Eruption of the Last Millennium - David Schneider, NCAR

4:20 – 4:40 Atlantic SST Influences on Mega-Droughts in North America: A Case Study on the Medieval Warm Period - Song Feng, U. Nebraska-Lincoln

4:40 – 5:00 The Role of ENSO in Regulating the Mean Climate of the Tropical Pacific - DeZheng Sun, NOAA


This is how this is going to work. I am going to try to have a post for each talk. IDK how well the audio will be on the webcast. I could miss a presentation. I may not too. I also have a three year old I am trying to put down for a nap. I am going to include their information as well as any running commentary that I might have. When this is done, I'll link all the above presentations listed to the individual posts.

The first three presentations are probably the most interesting on a personal level to me. Then again, you all ought to expect that since I've a fascination with extinction events. The Eocene had a moderate extinction while the Ordovician and PT were, well, huge. For different reasons.

That said, here we go!

No comments: