Thursday, October 18, 2007

Russian Cartoons

I've meant to post about this for some time. A friend of mine pointed us to a claymation version of Cheburashka. My wife has been going a bit bonkers showing us all the youtubed versions of the cartoons she watched when she was a kid. Some are weird. Some are jarring: the Soviet version of Winnie the Pooh, ahem, Vinnie Puh is just a bit incongruous with ours. Oh bother. Cherburashka is ... interesting. Now be careful. Some of them have been redubbed with some nasty words replaced. My wife stepped in one last night (Cheburashka Goblin is a bad, bad one not fit for kids to hear) and found it horribly offensive. Links below:

Cheburashka:















Vinnie Puh:







There's more, but those are the ones that I like. FWIW, they even had their own version of Mary Poppins. I got my wife our version and she was horrified. She likes theirs better. hrmph. I think I sense a spoonful of cultural bias. ;)

No comments: